Friday, January 30, 2015

31 Days of Better Blogging: Day 30 - Brainstorming


\

Day 30 is all about brainstorming!! 


As a writer, brainstorming is very important to me. Some of the best ideas I've had in my writing and in other areas of my life have come from brainstorming sessions. I've also wondered about my sanity during brainstorming situations. There are some scary things floating around in this head! 

I have five tips for brainstorming. These are things that I use to help me come up with ideas: 
  • Listen to music that fits the mood or theme of whatever you're trying to come up with. For example, I listen to a lot of jazz music when I'm trying to develop characters. I like characters who have soft and hard edges like some jazz music so sometimes I grab my headphones, turn up the volume, and lay back on the couch until something comes to me. (Or I fall asleep. Don't do this if you're sleepy.) 
  • Write down everything. Dump it all out on a piece of paper, a Word document, a note app on your phone, or even a cocktail napkin. Whatever you have on hand, write everything in your brain on that. When I was working in retail and I came across a brilliant idea, I'd write it down on receipt paper. I ended up with stacks and stacks of little notes but it helped me keep from forgetting my ideas. 
  • Phone a friend. Or text. Bounce ideas off of someone you trust who will not judge you if you send them a message at 3 A.M. Especially if that message says something like , "I created a fictional cat in this story because I want a cat and the hubs says we can't have one." (Not that I've sent something like that to anyone.) 
  • Get a hobby. I've had some "lightbulb" moments while I was immersed in one of my favorite hobbies. There are several times I've been working on a piece of jewelry and think about what it would look like on a character. Usually a dead character but beggars can't be choosers, right? 
  • Have a good sense of humor. Allow yourself to be silly, even more so when you're getting frustrated with yourself or the situation. Find something funny in your brainstorming process and give yourself a good laugh. Don't be so serious! 
I hope some of my tips help with your brainstorming process. What are some things you do to help brainstorm? 






 photo email_zps1ff7c9ad.png  photo goodreads_zps00371d7e.png  photo twitterbird_zps53a3b02d.png  photo google-Copy_zps49b07d3d.png  photo pinterest_zps2d5df537.png  photo bloglovin_zps87218985.png


blogger template by lovebird
Web Analytics