Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year Book Rant




Happy New Year. 

Lieutenant Dan's face is pretty much how I feel right now about the new  year. 


I'm trying to be as incredibly optimistic as all the assholes on my social media feeds who are posting narcissistic "selfies" (what a horrible "word" added to the dictionary, by the way) of themselves getting ready to go out and get so trashed that they forget about all those resolutions of how they're going to be a better version of themselves in the new year. All these "millenials" who are finally old enough to drink are at the bar drinking themselves deeper and deeper into their delusions of entitlement. 


All the while, I'm getting grumpier and grumpier by the second. I've tried to distract myself by doing some writing on this bullshit I call a book and it's not working. Something was bothering me and I wasn't sure what it was until I got on Bloglovin' and started perusing other book blogs. I came across this Perpetual Page Turner End of the Year Survey on Cuddlebuggery.com where I saw a comment about Fifty Shades of Grey which lead me to this Review of Fifty Shades of Grey which summed up my feelings on that book so well that I thought I was Pennsatucky for a minute. 


And then it hit me. That's what's bothering me. From the book blogs to GoodReads to Amazon, I keep seeing these damn books that are thinly veiled mimics of Fifty Shades of Grey and that sparkly vampire shit Twilight. Billionaire abusive assholes who prey upon "plain" looking, insecure girls because they have some tortured past does not a book make. Oh, but as an author I can fix all of that by making him good-looking. You'll forget every single one of his negative traits and abusive behaviors as soon as I describe his chiseled jaw and washboard abs. You'll loose all of your cognitive senses and be hypnotized by him. 


Shut up. Just shut up. I seriously cannot deal with this level of bullshit. Emotional abuse and manipulation is never okay. Being good looking does not excuse that. Can please all remember that Ted Bundy was a good looking guy? 


I LOVE reading. I LOVE writing. But I REALLY hate this new trend I've noticed in popular books. It's shit. Pure shit. And more shit. And this is probably not a popular opinion and will probably alienate some people from this blog but that's okay. I'd rather be honest and have 1 reader than be fake and have a lot of readers. I am TIRED of vampires. I am TIRED of werewolves. I am TIRED of billionaires. I am TIRED of whiny, anorexic, hypocritical bitches who manage to land themselves as the lead of one of those shit stories. Not every book I read has to change my life. I sometimes read purely for entertainment. That being said, I want to be entertained not verbally assaulted by terrible writing. Is that too much to ask? 


Is anyone else suffering from an overload of book bullshit or is it just me? 





 photo email_zps1ff7c9ad.png  photo goodreads_zps00371d7e.png  photo twitterbird_zps53a3b02d.png  photo google-Copy_zps49b07d3d.png  photo pinterest_zps2d5df537.png  photo bloglovin_zps87218985.png


blogger template by lovebird
Web Analytics