Thursday, August 20, 2015

Crossing In Time - DL Orton + Author Interviews + Review

***Disclaimer: I received this book via the author in exchange for an honest review. Any thoughts and opinions are my own.***



Review: 

Very rarely do I ever read science fiction. Even more rare than that is that I actually end up liking what I read. When DL Orton approached me about reviewing Crossing In Time, I just couldn't say no after I read the synopsis. The idea of going back in time, especially when it pertains to a lover, is something that has crossed my mind more than once. My husband and I tell each other quite often that we wish we'd found each other sooner so that we could love each other longer. And I've often thought about "What if we could?". DL Orton explores this though in Crossing In Time and does it so beautifully that it's not fair to call this book just science fiction. It's so much more than that. 

Although all of the characters are well written and well developed, Isabel was my favorite. She's easy to connect with. She's strong, witty, and just a little bit of a bad-ass in some scenes. I loved being able to read this book from the different view points of the characters in order to get a better grasp on the world around them. The descriptions of the world these characters are living in is phenomenal! I got so wrapped up in this book that I almost left reality. I fully expected to see the world imploding outside my front door! I will say that their mission to save the world seemed to get a little lost behind the romance but for me that wasn't necessarily a negative. I kind of enjoyed the romance set in this chaotic, demolition type of world. The plan to save the world drove the characters closer together but it didn't blossom as the most important aspect of the book. This may resolve itself in future books!? 

But even more than I loved the characters, I loved reading a sci-fi book that had sex scenes in it! One of the reasons I do not like most sci-fi is because there is little to no romance and if you've been around this blog long enough, you know how much I love my romance! That being said, I loved loved loved that Diego was not an "alpha" and that Isabel seemed to be more of the aggressor sometimes. (Or maybe I just saw it that way?) The sex scenes were steamy too but not so steamy that it takes away from the story. 

Because this is the first book in the series, you are left hanging a little. And even though I'm not really a fan of cliff-hangers, the way this book ends is done perfectly. It leaves you with a few questions but it keeps you interested enough to come back for more. It's very hard to review this book without giving away spoilers. I definitely recommend this book and I will be reading the rest of this series! Thank you so much, DL, for the opportunity to read this book!! 






Praise for Crossing In Time: The 1st Disaster (Between Two Evils, #1) 
D.L. Orton 

Edgy, literary, pithy. I like this book. It’s charming and punchy and engaging. The characters seem … refreshingly naughty. D. L. Orton has great finesse when it comes to storytelling. 
E.M. Davis, Senior Editor @ Pressque.com via Ingram 

This is a wild and totally enjoyable ride… [It is] packed with humor and parody and absurdity and on-fire imagination... As a debut novel it is astonishingly fine. 
Grady Harp, Amazon Hall of Fame Top 100 Reviewer & Vine Voice 

The book blends strong characters, sci-fi adventure, & romance to create an exciting, original story that could easily be imagined on the big screen... 
Cat Jones, Amazon Top 500 Reviewer

 It’s clever, absolutely hilarious, full of epic references to pop culture and colored with a vast collection of puns that are just to die for. 
Maria Barreto, Goodreads Top 50 Reviewer 

D.L. Orton has a BEAUTIFUL poetry within her voice. It's as though the prose is gently sung to you. Adam Nicholls, Crime Fiction Author & Book Reviewer This book holds WAY more than it appears to… I was satisfied, exhausted, inspired, and blown away. 
John J. Staughton, Editor of “Sheriff Nottingham” Lit Mag






BUY IT NOW: 


Add To Goodreads!




Interviews with D.L. Orton:


DLO: My pleasure, Jan!  I’m from the future, of course. Come to the dark side; we have time machines. Unfortunately, if I told you why, I’d have to shoot you. And yes, a woman DOES eventually get elected President, gays DO have a constitutional right to marry, and Florida IS going under.  If you want to know how Game of Thrones ends, sign up for my newsletter. (PS:  If you’d like to win a special prize, guess the news headline for May 4th, 2050, and include your email address written backwards e.g. moc.notrold@old in the comments.  I’ll send you a telepathic message if you win. Or perhaps I’ll arrive in your bathroom with the news!)
JTT:  Wow, well I’ll have to sign up.  In your book, Crossing in Time, you address two issues which psychologists believe are more strongly related that most people would think:  parallel universes and the gender gap. Your response?
DLO: A shower curtain, an ant, and a bowling ball.
JTT:  What?
DLO: Start with the shower curtain: a two-dimensional object in a 3-dimensional world. Imagine that you, gentle reader, are an ant, walking, talking, and having sex (do ants do that??) on a thin, flexible membrane (or a “brane” in physics-speak). Layered beneath you are a million other shower curtains, all of them with their own allotment of ants (some of which get paid 78 cents on the dollar due to slight differences in their copulatory organs). In a very real sense, those other ant universes are close to you in space (and time), but still seemingly undetectable — until someone drops a red-hot bowling ball on those piled up plastic sheets and makes the real-world equivalent of a black hole.  Mind the gap.
JTT:  Okay you’re officially too smart for me. I saw strong similarities between your female protagonist, Isabel, and Sarah Connor of the Terminator Series.  Why is it that female protagonists in sci-fi series such as the Terminator, Alien and  Avatar are much more formidable than the protagonists of erotica such as Fifty Shades of Grey?  Can the sci-fi and erotica genres unite to gain an audience? 
DLO: Well, if the reviews I’ve been getting are any indication, then no. ;-) 
Although my book is not erotica, I expect some women will be turned off by the sex (because my protagonist is the antithesis of the ditzy woman in 50 Shades, and Isabel’s lover is no demigod with a helicopter, handcuffs, and expensive taste in high heels. Sorry.)
JTT:  No reason to be sorry.  I think a lot of women fantasize about being an Isabel.  I hate to ask this question because it is so hackneyed in writer interviews, but as a reader I really am interested to know, what motivated you to write this series?  
DLO: When it comes to fiction, I find Frankenstein’s monster very appealing. I’m drawn to an author who tosses together eclectic body parts and then sews them into something cool and unexpected.  Books with character-driven sci-fi, lots of action, good (real!) sex, dark humor, strong female leads, a bit of a mystery, and an edgy love story are great reads, but there aren’t many out there. So I wrote one. And once I got started, the monster took on a life of his own
You can find the entire interview here: JTTwissel.com

When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer/storyteller?
I grew up without a TV, and although I’m old enough to remember the dinosaurs, 😉 I have never owned a television. Books have always been my preferred escape, and when my middle school friends teased me about the shows I was missing, I would tell them about the worlds they were missing in books. (Although I have to admit, I was always jealous they got to watch Gilligan’s Island!)
What inspires you to write?
I have a craving to be swept away into a time and space that is awash with powerful emotions. I know what an intoxicating feeling it is to fall in love, to see the world in a new way, to rail against an indifferent universe and occasionally come out on top, and I want to capture and hold those intense emotions in my books. When I write, I fall into my fictional world, getting angry when something I’ve worked hard for is destroyed, or feeling despair when my world is torn apart—and then finding hope in a stranger’s unselfish act of kindness, or basking in the sweet torture of a dying lover’s last caress. Writing is my drug of choice (along with caffeine :-) and even if I was the last person on Earth, I would write.
How did you come up with the idea for your book, “Crossing In Time?”
I met my husband when we were 28, and one of the first trips that we took as a couple was to attend the wedding of his best friend from college. At the reception, we ran into my husband’s girlfriend from college, and the two of us hit it off right away (the worried look on my husband’s face when we started comparing notes was priceless.) That got me wondering what it would be like to go back in time, knowing what I know now, to meet his younger self. Would I have found him as irresistible? Would he have fallen for me? Just how important IS timing? I didn’t have answers to those questions, but there was one thing I knew for sure: it would be a lot of fun to go back and find out.)
What do you think sets your sci-fi book apart from others currently on the shelves?
The sex, lol. I’m just kidding, but it may not be that far from the truth. Most Sci-fi books don’t have steamy scenes in them (they’re hard to write!) or character-driven plots or gut-wrenching love stories. My book crosses genres with wild abandon (action-adventure, dystopian sci-fi, with a bit of steamy sex all mixed up in a time-traveling love story). I’m hoping that’s a good thing.

Read the rest of this interview here: Solafide Publishing


ABOUT THE AUTHOR:


D. L. ORTON lives in the foothills of Colorado where she and her husband are raising three boys, a golden retriever, two Siberian cats, and an extremely long-lived triops. Her future plans include completing the books in the BETWEEN TWO EVILS SERIES followed by an extended vacation on a remote tropical island (with a Starbucks). When she’s not writing, playing tennis, or helping with algebra, she’s building a time machine so that someone can go back and do the laundry.
Ms Orton is a graduate of Stanford University’s Writers Workshop and a past editor of “Top of the Western Staircase,” a literary publication of CU, Boulder. The author has a number of short stories published in online literary magazines, including Literotica.com, Melusine, Cosmoetica, The Ranfurly Review, and Catalyst Press. Her debut novel, CROSSING IN TIME: THE 1st DISASTER, won an award in the “2010 Novel Beginnings Contest” and will be published by Rocky Mountain Press in May 2015.


 photo email_zps1ff7c9ad.png  photo goodreads_zps00371d7e.png  photo twitterbird_zps53a3b02d.png  photo google-Copy_zps49b07d3d.png  photo pinterest_zps2d5df537.png  photo bloglovin_zps87218985.png


blogger template by lovebird
Web Analytics